This week IRIS launched a new feature to enable access to a .edu account from IRIS itself. In case you are still not aware of this kindly check out this link to know more about it. You can also scoll to the bottom of the page to know more about how to create a new EDU Account.
This article mainly talks about benefits of a .edu account from the perspective of students and the benefits that it offers alongside it. Please note that this article is valid only for students of NITK who have a
1. G Suite Access
Under a .edu account you can access unlimited storage on Google Drive as well as your Gmail Account (normally 15GB). This is one of the best benefits of Edu email account that helps you in storing your images, videos, ebooks and much more without the worry of getting out of space. To access mail services you can log on to http://mail.nitk.edu.in and log in to the email ID given to you.
You can utilize this as long as you are a student of NITK Surathkal.
2. Microsoft One Drive
Microsoft offers a wide variety of software for free and huge discounts with Edu email address on many products for Students and Teachers. You can easily avail Office 365 for Students for free. Go to Microsoft Office Website and enter your .edu email address inside the box and proceed to the next step. Now select the student account and then input your details along with the verification code that has been sent to you on your email address and then you can proceed to create your account.
When you sign up for Microsoft Office 365 using your .edu email account, you get 1 TB of OneDrive storage for free. This is definitely one of the best offers for students who sign up using their university provided email account, 1TB of OneDrive storage can be used for storing documents, Power Point slides, excel sheets, images, and much more.
3. Github Student Developer Pack
https://education.github.com/pack Just fill up the form and verify your email address after filling it up and you will have a Student Developer Account on Github within minutes.
List of benefits of having a Student Developer Account are as follows:
- GitHub: Offers unlimited private repositories while you are a student. Normally, GitHub charges $7 per month.
- $15 Amazon AWS coupon
- $50 Digital Ocean coupon. It will be expired within 12 months after adding to your account – new account only.
- Bitnami: Offers the Business 3 plan for one year that typically cost $49 per month.
- Crowdflower: access to the Crowdflower platform.
- DNSimple: Offers the Personal hosted DNS plan for two years that typically charge $5 per month.
- $25 credit of HackHands, a live programming help that available 24/7.
- A suite of Microsoft Azure cloud services and developer tools: Microsoft Azure, Visual Studio Community and the rest of Microsoft developer tools, while you are a student.
- NameCheap.com: Offer one year .ME domain name registration that costs $18.99 per year – and one year SSL certificate that costs $10 per year.
- Orchestrate: Access to the Developer account that costs $49 per month, while you are a student. It’s a complete database portfolio, includes search, time-series events, geolocation, and graph queries through an API.
- SendGrid: Offers the Student plan with 15,000 free emails per month, while you are a student.
- Travis CI: Access the Private builds that charge you $69 per month, while you are a student.
Free individual licenses for students for a year and all Jetbrains software is extensively used for Software Development. Find the latest IDEs for Ruby, Python, PHP, C++, Java, etc on Jetbrains. The procedure to get Jetbrains Student License is very simple. Just fill in your details and you .edu account. They’ll send you a mail to confirm if you’re a student or not and voila you can get it done.
Autodesk provides a very large number of fee software licenses for students that are very beneficial. You will have to register on their website using your .edu email account and then download the free software and licenses.
- Go to www.autodesk.com and click on SIGN IN from the top right-hand corner of the website, a drop down menu will open and then you will have to select Education Community.
- On the next page click on CREATE ACCOUNT and then select your Country, Education Role (student) and date of birth. Now you will have to input your credentials and your .edu email account which will then lead you to a sign-up page where you will have to input your College/University name, here if it is not mentioned then you can add it simply.
Hence, your registration is complete and you will receive a confirmation email from Autodesk which will then let you download the free software.
How to Sign Up for a .EDU.IN account using IRIS
- Login to IRIS using your username and password and under profile go to NITK.EDU.IN Account.
EDU Account Option on IRIS
- If you don’t already have an account, you will be prompted to type in your desired name in the textbox (highlighted using blue) (preferably first name) and click on “Create NITK.EDU.IN account”
Create NITK Account
- Your password will be displayed on successful creation of account. You can then head over to Google and login with the above password and Full email ID (incl. ‘nitk.edu.in’)
Account Password Generated